ISO 14001 is an internationally agreed standard that sets out the requirements for an environmental management system. It helps organizations improve their environmental performance through more efficient use of resources and reduction of waste, gaining a competitive advantage and the trust of stakeholders.
Environmental Management System (EMS) is a set of processes and practices that enable an organization to reduce its environmental impacts and increase its operating efficiency. An environmental management system (EMS) can be developed in compliance with the ISO 14001:2015 standard as part of an organization’s strategy to implement its environmental policy and address governmental regulations.
An EMS focuses resources on meeting the commitments identified in the organization’s policy. These commitments could include reducing or eliminating the negative environmental impacts of its products, services, and activities and/or increasing their positive effects.
Achieving a balance between the environment, society and the economy is considered essential to meet the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their needs.
Sustainable development as a goal is achieved by balancing the three pillars of sustainability (Environment, Society and Economy).
There are many reasons why an organization should take a strategic approach to improving its environmental performance.
Users of the standard have reported that ISO 14001 helps:
- Demonstrate compliance with current and future statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Increase leadership involvement and engagement of employees.
- Improve company reputation and the confidence of stakeholders through strategic communication.
- Achieve strategic business aims by incorporating environmental issues into business management
- Provide a competitive and financial advantage through improved efficiencies and reduced costs
- Encourage better environmental performance of suppliers by integrating them into the organization’s business systems.
- 110 slides
- 220 slides
- 324 slides
- 412 slides
- 512 slides
- 69 slides
- 812 slides
- 97 slides
Module 2: Assessments